Friday, July 9, 2010

Lovin' On Jesus




A few weeks ago while taking a break @ my present place of employment I had a chance encounter with a young man who attends school at Geneva College. Our encounter began like most clumsy awkward ones that involve two strangers. He seemed like a nice enough of a guy, apparently he was landscaping to make ends meet during the summer months, and came to the theatre to see A-Team with a group of friends.  In the moment of that brief encounter he projected his entire starry eyed hopes for a future in ministry that might include some time in Africa. I responded to his hopes and dreams with a smile, and told him about a grassroots Christian community I am affiliated with in Philadelphia called Broad Street Ministries.  Before we parted and he rejoined his friends in the auditorium to enjoy the A-Team he asked me if I was “lovin on Jesus.” I was mortified, and could not believe that he had ‘put me on blast.’ I am by no stretch of the imagination a ‘closet Christian’ I was born into a Baptist family ; I am the son of a deacon. There is no shortage of JESUS JUICE in my life, however I just choose to sip not chug.  I suppose  this is one of the drawbacks to living in a place like Beaver Falls ; but I consoled in a friend via a Facebook dialogue, about the above event. And she told me it may have been a simple issue of maturity. I figured she may have been right, and not to focus too much on the issue.















One of the main reasons this frightened me  is perhaps because I saw a bit of myself in that young man in the lobby. There was a time in my life when I aligned myself with a student organization that helps matriculate ‘church kids’ into the college community in a safe paced  manner; via Thursday worship services, fall retreats, and bible studies. After all a frog was once a tadpole, hence we must all grow. I suppose I shriek at the idea that I may have once in my life made someone feel the way that kid did me. Between my time at Camp Ladore  and  Broad Street Ministries I think I have fulfilled that commission laid before me by the creator, and honestly I still am a bit clueless as to my purpose on this planet. I try not to let that cloud my mind. I think there was a part of my cosmic dharma that had to be fulfilled at these two places, aand there is nothing else for me to do in this arena of life. Am I going to stop caring about the homeless?  No. But I do believe that it is time for me to stop being so overtly altruistic. Those I worked shoulder to shoulder with at BSM and Ladore are some of the most heartfelt wonderful human being I have ever had the pleasure of knowing in my 30 years on this planet (are the rest assholes? No I love you all too). But there is a time when a man has to learn to chew gum and walk at the same time. So break out the Dentyne bitches---> I am trying to get fresh, its why I burnt the soapbox, and used the ashes to make war paint so I can take on this new phase in the beautiful story that has become my life.